Latest News



Freshford were looking to get to the Semi-Final of the Knockout Cup with what on paper should have been an easy tie playing Division 2 side Melksham Town B but the form book was ripped up when we thought we could just turn up and win the game with minimal effort. The visitors were beating us to every ball and hungry to get forward and press us to win the ball back. We had a few crosses fizz across teh front of teh goal but no one willing to get on the end of them for easy tap ins. Slack marking saw the visitors breakaway and grab the only goal of the first half.

The second half should have seen us improve from teh reaction of our players at halftime but unfortunately nothing was ever produced and Melksham grabbed another goal midway through the half, we had chances again but no one could produce the finishing touch with some easy misses and poor composure in front of goal. With the game running out of time we pushed to get back in the game and were caught on the break near the end.

Man of the match was awarded to Adam Sheppard and Jaffa was given to Mark Gerrish for missing three open goals.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (6) ------- Mark Gerrish (5), Jake Gaines (5), Andrew Backman (5) ----------- Harrisson Amor (5), Waleed Bakali (5), Jack Mitchell (5), Nick Ross (5), Jamie Shaw (5)(Theo Sing (5))-------- Dave Percival (5), Kubilay De-Vanney (5)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 0 - 3 Melksham Town B (HT 0 - 3)


Freshford started 2018 with a bang as they met Warminster Town Reserves for the third time this season. The game was due to played at Weymouth Road but was cancelled in the morning as Warminster’s pitch was deemed unplayable. However, Birelson was keen to play the game and had the fixture reversed. Freshford must have feared their pragmatism may punish them when Warminster’s First Team’s game was called off an hour before kick-off and the reserve side arrived at Brown’s Park with a squad of 18 players. Nonetheless, it was Freshford who started the better. Just after kick off Bakali played a one-two with Amor and whipped in a cross to De Vanney who was unable to direct his shot goal bound from ten yards out. The next chance fell to Percival who managed to wiggle his way past his defender, but his low left strike was well-held by the Warminster keeper. Freshford looked solid at the back with Gerrish, Gaines and Phillips all showing great positional awareness and experience to prevent any clear cut chances for Warminster. Freshford continued to press and they were rewarded when a Percival cross found its way to Bakali who should have converted, but fortunately for him winger Little made sure by heading home on the line to make it 1-0 to Freshford.

The second half saw a much fitter and rallied up Warminster side and the influence of their senior players started to affect the game. Freshford worked hard across midfield as Mitchell and Gant held the centre of the fort. Right winger, Amor, superbly marked his pacey counterpart out of the game who looked effervescent from the first whistle. Warminster came close when their centre back met a fine cross at the far post only to strike the post. The constant pressure paid off when a low cross was converted from close range to make 1-1 with 20 minutes to go. The remainder of the half epitomised the term bounce-back-ability when just five minutes later Percival went on a dazzling run twisting and turning defenders to slot the ball left footed into the bottom corner. Reluctant to let the momentum pass Freshford pressed for a third and came close on several occasions. The third came and it was the quick thinking of Jamie Shaw who swiftly distributed his throw-in down the line; Percival latched onto it and drove at goal and bent his right footed shot around the keeper. A solid victory and well-deserved three points for Freshford on a bitterly cold January afternoon.

Man of the match was awarded to David Percival and Jaffa was given to manager Chris Birleson for being unwell and for his eyes giving him the appearance of a drug addict.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (8) ------- Mark Gerrish (8), Jake Gaines (8), Sam Phillips (8) ----------- Harrisson Amor (8), Waleed Bakali (9), Jack Mitchell (8), Nathan Gant (8), Alfie Little (8) (Jamie Shaw (8)) -------- Dave Percival (9), Kubilay De-Vanney (8)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 3 - 1 Warminster Town Reserves (HT 1 - 0) ------------- Alfie Little (20), Dave Percival (74, 80)


Freshford hosted The Three Daggers in the A & B Cup quarter final after knocking them out of the Knockout cup 2 weeks ago, with a weaker team we knew we would have a battle on our hands if we wanted to turn over the daggers again. The game ran at a frantic pace with both teams playing some exciting end to end football but we had teh better of the chances and should have been ahead in teh first half and teh opponents were limited to long range pop shots from our very solid defence which meant the first half was goalless.

The second half carried on much the same but the opponents were starting to make more clinical efforts and theur keeper was having a great game to keep his side in contention, it was looking like it was heading to extra time when a through ball from Nick Ross was latched onto by Dave Percival who beat teh defender and then slotted it past the keeper to give us teh lead with ten minutes to go. It was a nervey last ten minutes where Daggers had chances but our defence held strong and earned ourself a well deserved Semi Final place.

Man of the match was given to Nick Ross and Jaffa was awarded to Mark Gerrish for missing from a yard out.

Line Up: Chris Birleson (8) ------- Joe Newman (7), Mark Gerrish (7), Andrew Backman (8) ----------- Harrisson Amor (7) (Connor Dunne (7)), Nathan Gant (7), Alfie Little (7) (Josh Sheppard (7)), Nick Ross (8), Jamie Shaw (7) (Tyler Atkinson (7)) -------- Dave Percival (7), Kubilay De-Vanney (7)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 1 - 0 The Three Daggers (HT 0 - 0) ------------- Dave Percival (80)

A GAME OF TWO HALVES - 02/12/2017

Freshford were on a high after a decent run of results but didn’t seem at the races during the first half in the home tie against Calne Eagles. Calne Eagles started the better side and looked lively up front. Freshford had a couple of chances in the first 25 minutes. Nick Ross did well to miss from only one yard out, Harrison had a disallowed goal and hit the cross bar when the ball fell to him on the edge of the box. It was Calne Eagles though who took the deserved lead after a good counter attack, poor marking and poor tracking from Freshford’s midfield left Jefferies 12 yards out to strike home. Freshford pushed for an equaliser, but again poor work rate was to blame for Calne Eagles second which was executed in similar fashion to the first by Jefferies.

The second half was much better for the home side. Freshford looked a different team and started well. They scored early on when Percival’s corner was delivered right into the six yard box and Nick Ross side footed it home from close range. With 30 minutes to go, returned striker Alfie Little took a long throw which was flicked on by Nick Ross and his midfield partner Bakali headed the ball home into the far corner. Freshford looked like they were destined to run away with the game. Little had one saved off the line, Percival’s strike was pushed on to the inside of the post and there were two goal mouth scrambles. In a cruel twist of fate it was Calne who scored next with ten minutes to go when Jefferies fine cross was delivered from the left hand side and was finished well from close range to make it 3-2 to the Eagles. It was hard work which got Freshford a deserved point when man of the match Nick Ross’s left footed strike went in off the post with only five minutes to go to make it 3-3.

Man of the match was given to Nick Ross and Jaffa was awarded to Nick Ross for trying to pull it back when he was a yard out from the goal line.

Line Up: Chris Birleson (6) ------- Nathan Gant (6), Mark Gerrish (6), Andrew Backman (6) ----------- Harrisson Amor (6), Waleed Bakali (7), Josh Sheppard (6), Nick Ross (7), Tyler Atkinson (6) (Kubilay De-Vanney (6)) -------- Dave Percival (6), Alfie Little (6)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 3 - 3 Calne Eagles (HT 0 - 2) ------------- Nick Ross (47, 87), Waleed Bakali (70)


Freshford secured a place in the last eight of the Knock Out cup with a convincing win over the Three Daggers. The teams looked evenly matched but it was Freshford who took the lead with a fine corner from Percival which was met by the diving head of Nick Ross. Chris Birleson’s men continued to press forward and soon after made it two when Keeper Adam Sheppard delivered a ball forward which was flicked on first by Percival and then by strike partner De Vanney; early substitute Jamie Shaw sprung the offside trap and coolly rounded the keeper. The Three Daggers looked like pulling one back but Bakali’s header off the line and a last ditch challenged by Andrew Backman were crucial to maintaining the lead and the momentum. Freshford continued to press and soon made it 3-0 after 35 minutes when De Vanney was put through on goal and did well to slot the ball into the bottom corner to continue his three game goal scoring run. Freshford looked like they were going to make it 4-0 before the break when Percival’s cross went all the way through and hit the upright, but De Vanney was unable to follow it up.

It was obvious that the next goal would be an important one and with a good bit of fortune Freshford extended their lead to four when a Percival cross was headed home into the top corner by a Three Daggers Defender. It looked like Freshford were going to run away with the game but for a number of missed opportunities. On three occasions Percival had swivelled his way past several defenders only to pull the ball wide. Wayne Wheeler came on for the Three Daggers and instantly made an impression. He was first to follow up on another great save from Adam Sheppard and struck the ball into the bottom corner. A blatant hand ball in the box gifted Freshford the opportunity to put the game to bed but Percival’s low strike was well saved by the Three Daggers’ keeper. Wheeler again was at the heart of the Three Daggers attack and was fouled on the edge of the box. He converted the free kick to make it 4-2 with only ten minutes to play. However, Freshford kept a cool head and worked hard with strong performances from Nick Ross in centre midfield and Adam Sheppard in goal to ensure passage to the next round.

Man of the match was given to Adam Sheppard and Jaffa was awarded to David Percival for not being able to hit a barn door and not being able to open a door

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (9) ------- Mark Gerrish (8), Jake Gaines (8) (Jamie Shaw (8)), Andrew Backman (9) ------- Harrisson Amor (8), Waleed Bakali (8), Jack Mitchell (8), Nick Ross (9), Joe Newman (8) ----------- Dave Percival (8), Kubilay De-Vanney (8)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 4 - 2 The Three Daggers (HT 3 - 0) ------------- Nick Ross (12), Jamie Shaw (25), Kubilay De-Vanney (36), OG (46)


Freshford faced Calne Eagles at Beversbrook on a cold, wet slippery November Saturday. Freshford started off the better team and came close on a couple of occasions including a  Percival low strike which was palmed onto the post by the Eagles’ keeper. It was De Vanney who broke the deadlock who was in good form following his first goal in adult football last week. A through ball from Percival was latched onto by the young striker and he coolly rounded the keeper to make it 1-0. Freshford continued to apply the pressure and a Percival corner was well met by Nick Ross who headed back across the goal to the far post where Bakali headed home from just a few yards out.

Freshford started the second half much like the first. A solid performance from returnee Jack Mitchell in the centre of the park and defenders Gerrish, Backman and fictional author J Gaines meant it was very difficult to break Freshford down . Freshford were keen to extend the lead and it finally came 10 minutes into the second half from another good Percival corner. Bakali rose highest and headed home to score his second and Freshford’s third. Both teams had chances to score in the second half but for the finishing from both sides was poor. The next goal came from a familiar phase of play. A Percival corner was headed goalwards by Bakali but this time it was blocked on the line. Bakali was the first to react and rifled the ball home from close range to complete his hat-trick and to make it 4-0.

Calne Eagles never gave up and scored a well-deserved consolation goal after good play down the left hand side led to a fine cross which was headed home by Michael Taraskevics to make it 4-1 which was how the game ended.

Man of the match was given to Waleed Bakali and Jaffa was awarded to Nick Ross for missing from a yard out.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (8) -- Mark Gerrish (8), Jake Gaines (8), Andrew Backman (8) (Josh Sheppard (8)) -- Harrisson Amor (Jamie Shaw (8)), Waleed Bakali (9) (Connor Dunne (8)), Jack Mitchell (8), Nick Ross (8), Joe Newman (8) (Gus Wright (8)) ------ Dave Percival (8), Kubilay De-Vanney (8) (Jason Povey (8))

Final Score: Calne Eagles 1 - 4 Freshford Utd (HT 0 - 2) ------------- Kubilat De-Vanney (9), Waleed Bakali (15, 52, 79)


On a cold wet November afternoon Freshford travelled to Warminster in the first round of the A&B Cup. The pre-match preparation was poor and Freshford seemed to pay the price as Warminster racked on the pressure early doors. It was not surprising when they broke the deadlock with a fine cross from the left hand side which was headed home at the far post. Warminster made it two when Welsh picked up the ball on the halfway line and passed it out wide and met the incoming cross with a fine volley. Freshford seemed to fall to pieces when Welsh made it 3-0 with a top corner strike from the edge of the box.

Birleson changed the formation at half time and it immediately paid dividends. Freshford looked solid in defence with Nath Gant, Jake Little, Andrew Backman and 16 year old Josh Sheppard making it difficult for Warminster to create anything. It was Birleson’s quick and accurate distribution which found De Vanney who rounded the keeper to make it 3-1 and score his first goal of the season. Freshford continued the fight back and Percival’s corner was well met by Andrew “Batty” Backman who climbed highest to head home and decrease the deficit to one. Percival made it 3-3 with another good run which left him one on one with the keeper; he easily rounded him and slotted the ball into an empty net. The game looked poised to go to extra time, but with 15 minutes to go Percival’s low cross was met by Nick Ross whose mishit shot from two yards dribbled over the line to make 4-3. Freshford battled for the remaining 15 minutes to see off the game.

Man of the match was given to Dave Percival and Jaffa was awarded to Dave Percival for thinking it was a league game.

Line Up: Chris Birleson (8) ----- Andrew Backman (9), Jake Gaines (8), Josh Sheppard (8) ------ Harrisson Amor (8), Waleed Bakali (9), Nathan Gant (8), Nick Ross (8), Connor Dunne (8) ------- Dave Percival (9), Kubilay De-Vanney (9)

Final Score: Warminster Town Reserves 3 - 4 Freshford Utd (HT 3 - 0) -- Kkubilay De-Vanney (54), Andrew Backman (61), Dave Percival (66), Nick Ross (73)


Chris Birleson’s men cemented their place as title challengers with a solid victory over Westbury United’s Devlopement squad following his return from international duties. The first half was  tricky but the deadlock was broken when Percival slotted in Bakali who beat the offside trap and struck the ball with his left foot low and hard into the bottom corner to make it 1-0.  The game was well matched with chances for both sides. Westbury managed to seize the opportunity when it mattered with a wonderful right footed curling shot into the top corner worthy of any goal of the season. Half time came with the game one a piece and all to play for. 

Freshford started the better side in the second half but it looked like they were going to rue their missed chances until they were awarded a free kick on the right wing. A well delivered cross from Gerrish was met by in-form midfielder Nick Ross who headed into the bottom corner. The game still seemed tight and as Westbury started to push on, strikers Percival and 16 year old [Kubilay] started to really show their class. It was indeed Percival who went on a dazzling run down the right hand side past three defenders to slot the ball in off the post to make it 3-1. Westbury continued to press which Freshford sought to punish. Percival completed his brace after picking up the ball from a throw in and rounding two defenders cutting inside and striking the ball into the far corner. Percival again turned supplier when his corner (taking the place of Gavin Eyre following his serious injury last week) was headed home by no other than primary school teacher Joe Newman. Nathan Gant really made it six of the best when the ball bounced out from a corner and his thunderous left footed strike into the top corner left no doubt of goal of the game and likely goal of the season. Bakali finished off the scoring with a close range strike after Percival had unselfishly cut the ball back. 

Man of the match was given to Kubilay De-Vanney and Jaffa was awarded to Mark Gerrish for sending texts saying all the managers in teh league wanted to sign him up.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (8) -------- Mark Gerrish (8), Jake Gaines (8), Nathan Gant (8) ----- Harrisson Amor (8) (Andrew Backman (8)), Waleed Bakali (8), Dean Ranger (8) (Josh Sheppard (8)), Nick Ross (8), Joe Newman (8) ------ Dave Percival (9), Kubilay De-Vanney (9)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 7 - 1 Westbury Utd Development (HT 1 - 1) ------ Waleed Bakali (28, 81), Nick Ross (48), Dave Percival (52, 57), Joe Newman (64), Nathan Gant (71)


A 4-2 victory for Freshford United away at Trowbridge Town Reserves means that Chris Birleson’s team moved into second place in the standings.

Eddie Katumba headed Freshford in front before Trowbridge levelled when goal keeper Leo Whitehead’s massive punt beat his opposite number to make it 1 apiece at half time.

Two Nick Ross thunderbolts gave Freshford a 3-1 advantage, Dave Percival’s penalty killed off any hope of a revival from the Town for who Bradley Arberry’s effort was just a consolation.

Man of the match was given to Andrew Backman and Jaffa was awarded to Chris Birleson for not getting the grass cut at the pitch.

Line Up: Andrew Backman (8) ------ Gavin Eyre (7), Mark Gerrish (7), Joe Newman (8) ----- Harrisson Amor (7) (Connor Ddunne (6), Kubilay De-Vanney (7) (Jason Povey (6)), Dean Ranger (7), Nick Ross (7), Nathan Gant (7) (Josh Sheppard (6)) ----- Dave Percival (7), Eddie Katumba (7)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 4 - 2 Trowbridge Town Reserves (HT 1 - 1) ------------- Eddie Katumba (24), Nick Ross (56, 67), Dave Percival (74 Pen)


Having already beaten Freshford United 1-0 this season, Stockton & Codford travelled to Brown’s Park hoping to complete a Division One double over Chris Birleson’s side. However, Freshford looked a totally different side than the reverse fixture and were clearly not prepared to “lose down” to the battle.

Stockton looked the better side for the first five minutes but Freshford managed to ease themselves into the game. They were awarded a free kick by the touchline and the pinpoint delivery from Gavin Eyre was headed home by Eddie Kutumba's to give Freshford the lead. Freshford continued to apply the pressure and a long ball from keeper Adam Sheppard saw Stockton player Kevin Shinn and his goalkeeper fail to properly communicate and Shinn head into his own net for 2-0. Stockton looked like they might get back into the game when a crossed free-kick was headed at the far post, but they were denied by the upright. Freshford countered and Joe Newman sprinted to the by-line to cut it back to Nick Ross who shot with the outside of the boot for Freshford’s third.

The second half was much the same. Dave Percival was a nightmare to defend as he ran at defenders and was fouled by Shinn in the penalty area. Adam Sheppard scored from the penalty spot with a cool strike to make it 4-0. Percival made it five when he latched on to a poorly defended header to poke the ball past the Stockton goalie. Stockton were awarded a penalty when Sheppard brought down a Stockton striker, but he redeemed himself by superbly palming away Liam Gibbens’ low strike. Nick Ross completed his brace to make it 6-0 with a right foot half-volley from a Percival assist. Freshford could not maintain the clean sheer and Kevin Shinn scored Stockton’s consolation.

Man of the match was given to Adam Sheppard and Jaffa was awarded to Mark Gerrish for throwing his toys out of the pram again.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard 10) ---- Mark Gerrish (9), Gavin Eyre (9), Jake Gaines (10)(Andrew Backman (9))------ Harrisson Amor (10)( Kubilay De-Vanney (9)), Waleed Bakali (9)(Connor Dunne (9)), Nathan Gant (9), Nick Ross (10), Joe Newman (9)(Dean Ranger (9))------------ Dave Percival (9), Eddie Katumba (10)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 6 - 1 Stockton & Codford (HT 3 - 0) ------------- Eddie Katumba (10), OG (31), Nick Ross (40, 87), Adam Sheppard (54 Pen), Dave Percival (81)


Freshford travelled to fellow League contenders Luxol St Andrews and got off to a great start when a pass from Gavin Eyre found Dave Percival just inside their half who then went on a mazey run past various players and then slotted it in at the near post from a tight angle to beat their keeper. We continued to put pressure on the hosts whilst dealing with their physical and quick attackers reasonably comfortably and the majority of the chances fell to us and after a few near misses and some good saves from Adam Sheppard in our goal. On the half hour a well delivered corner from Gavin Eyre found Nick Ross who rose above his man to head home for his first of the season and to double our lead, we had more oppurtunities to extend our lead when Eddie Katumba hit the bar and Dave Percival pulled his shot wide from a few yards.

The second half saw us start well for the first 5 minutes but the hosts started to get a grip on the game and we were starting to tire from the end to end action, as a few injuries hit us as well during the second half we began to wobble at the back and with 25 minutes to go Luxol grabbed a goal back. We dug deep but didnt have enough in the tank to deal with their fitness and pressure and conceeded a second with 10 minutes to go and then a third with 4 minutes remaining.

Man of the match was given to Nick Ross and Jaffa was awarded to Dave Percival for being caught out in the toilet without and paper.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (8) ----------------- Mark Gerrish (7)(Josh Sheppard (7)), Gavin Eyre (8), Jake Gaines (7) ------------- Harrisson Amor (7)( Kubilay De-Vanney (7)), Josh Birbeck (7), Nathan Gant (7), Nick Ross (8), Joe Newman (8) ------------ Dave Percival (8), Eddie Katumba (7)

Final Score: Luxol St Andrews 3 - 2 Freshford Utd (HT 0 - 2) ------------- Dave Percival (3), Nick Ross (30)


Freshford hosted Hilperton Utd and were looking for revenge after losing narrowly to them in a pre season friendly where we were caught out by their pace, we set up well and managed to control their strikers and when they did beat our defence Adam Sheppard was their to sweep up behind. The new partnership of Dave Percival and Eddie Katumba was starting to cause problems for the visitors and on 27 minutes a goal kick was flicked on by Eddie and Dave Percival latched on to it to slot it past the advancing keeper. The rest of the half saw us continue to defend well and create oppurtunities but not find that important second goal.

The second half saw us continue to get control of the game and the visitors growing frustrated and losing interest in the game and our strikers teamed up again when this time Dave Percival found the right pass to set up Eddie Katumba to double our lead. Midway through the half a long ball from Mark Gerrish saw Sam Phillips beat teh defender to the ball and hit it home to settle the nerves, this should have been teh game sealed up but minutes later a very soft penalty was given against Nathan Gant and the resulting goal got the visitors tails up. After a nervy ten minutes a breakaway down the right wing from Frankie Elliott beat his man for pace and then was upended by the covering defender in the box to earn us a penalty, Adam Sheppard stepped up from goal to calmly place the penalty in the corner to restore our lead. We continued to press as Hilperton saw out the game and a ball from Eddie Katumba in behind their defence found Harrisson Amor who snuck in behind to have one too many touches but still found the net to finish off the game for us and get his first goal for the club.

Man of the match was given to Waleed Bakali and Jaffa was awarded to Gavin Eyre for forgetting the Jaffa top and fines money.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (9) ----------------- Mark Gerrish (8), Gavin Eyre (8), Joe Newman (9) (Connor Dunne (8))------------- Sam Phillips (9) (Harrisson Amor (8)), Waleed Bakali (9), Nathan Gant (9), Nick Ross (8), Frankie Elliott (8) (Kubilay De-Vanney (8))------------ Dave Percival (8), Eddie Katumba (9)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 5 - 1 Hilperton Utd (HT 1 - 0) ------------- Dave Percival (27), Eddie Katumba (55), Sam Phillips (67), Adam Sheppard (81 Pen), Harrisson Amor (85)


Freshford travelled to Stockton & Codford and with a few players missing and injuries we knew it would be a hard battle ahead of us, but we were confident that we could get something form the game and started well and dealt with everything they threw at us whilst creating chances of our own from set pieces. With our defence and keeper doing teh jobs well it was dissapointing to conceed a free kick on the edge of our box midway through the half, the wall did its job to block the free kick but the follow up was struck through the crowd and taking a deflection to give them the lead.

The second half saw much of the same with Stockton struggling to break us down and when they did Adam Sheppard was on hand to pull of various great saves throught the game. We had a good patch of pocession and created chances but couldnt quite find the finishing touch or pass and the best oppurtunity fell to Waleed Bakali after good pressure he found himself through on goal but couldnt keep his shot down.

Man of the match was given to Nathan Gant and Jaffa was awarded to Waleed Bakali for blasting over the bar an oppurtunity when through 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (8) ----------------- Sam Phillips (8), Theo Hall (8), Gavin Eyre (8) ------------- Harrisson Amor (8) (Josh Sheppard (8)), Waleed Bakali (8), Nathan Gant (9), Frankie Elliott (8), Joe Newman (8) (Jamie Shaw (7))------------ Mark Gerrish (7)(Chris Birleson (8)), Gus Wright (7)

Final Score: Stockton & Codford 1 - 0 Freshford Utd (HT 1 - 0)


Freshford suffered an early exit from the Somerset cup following a poor performance away to Chilcompton Sports Reserves. Freshford looked the better side in the first 30 minutes creating four or five good chances, but were unable to find the net and were lacklustre in the final third. A defensive error let Chilcompton into the game and a looping shot found its way over the Freshford goalie. Freshford looked to be back in the game and on top when Gavin Eyre’s corner was defended and his second cross was met by Bakali’s glancing header to the far post. As Freshford pressed, Chilcompton had very little chances but managed to get in front after a simple one-two and a low footed strike found its way into the net.

The second half was a combination of poor finishing and an inability to defend properly when Chilcompton was on the break. Freshford had at least three “easier to miss” opportunities and the defensive display was just as bad as the finishing. Chilcompton scored two goals on the break to make it 4-1 and as Freshford pushed in the last 15 minutes, two further counter attacks led to goals and a deserved and convincing win.

Man of the match was given to Nathan Gant and Jaffa was awarded to Harrison Amor for missing the easiest of the “easier to miss” chances.

Line Up: Tommy Arnold (6) ----------------- Sam Phillips (6) (Josh Sheppard (6)), Mark Gerrish (6), Theo Hall (8)(Kubilay De-Vanney (7)), Joe Newman (8) (Harrisson Amor (7)) ------------- Jake Gaines (6), Waleed Bakali (6), Nathan Gant (7)(Jamie Shaw (6)), Gavin Eyre (6)(Connor Dunne (6)), Nick Ross (7)------------ Dave Percival (6)

Final Score: Chilcompton Sports Reserves 6 - 1 Freshford Utd (HT 2 - 1) -------------- Waleed Bakali (17)


Freshford got off to the best possible start when they hosted last season’s league champions Melksham Team A at Browns Park. Melksham were favourites and looked the better side technically as they sought to play the short sharp passing game. However, Freshford worked hard and played in the right areas and the deadlock was broken when Nick Ross did well to tackle a defender and put in Dave Percival who when through one on one was only ever going to find the back of the net. The game was evenly matched and within ten minutes Melksham equalled the score line. Kirk played a nice one-two and when he received the ball he had plenty of time at the edge of the box to the find the bottom corner with a fine, low left footed strike. Freshford did not seemed phased and created more chances in the first half. Percival was again involved when he set up Gus Wright who sent a curling shot over the keeper to make it 2-1. Experienced goalie, Shepherd did well to close down two one-on-ones to give Freshford the best chance of securing the three points. Freshford made it 3-1 when Bakali slotted the ball through and a defensive/goal keeping error meant Gus Wright was able to walk the ball into the net.

The second half saw no goals as Freshford looked to defend from the front and keep the game tight. They worked tirelessly to close down Melksham. Shepherd also did well to cancel every Melksham attack and was awarded Man of the Match for his efforts.

Freshford's Man of the match was awarded to Adam Sheppard and the 'Jaffa' was awarded to Chris Birleson for forgetting he had teh keys to unlock the changing rooms.

Line Up: Adam Sheppard (9) ----------------- Sam Phillips (8), Mark Gerrish (8), Theo Hall (8)(Josh Sheppard (8)), Joe Newman (8) (Harrisson Amor (8)) ------------- Frankie Elliott (8), Waleed Bakali (8), Nathan Gant (8), Gus Wright (9)(Kubilay De-Vanney (8)), Nick Ross (9)------------ Dave Percival (9)

Final Score: Freshford Utd 3 - 1 Melksham Town A (HT 3 - 1) -------------- Dave Percival (8), Gus Wright (18, 29)


Freshford hosted their 7th annual Six-A-Side tournament at Browns Park but this year we made it the whole weekend with different Youth age group tournaments. The weekend started with an Under 14/15's tournament on Saturday morning with 10 teams entering then the afternoon was the normal Adults tournament with 14 teams entering. The Sunday started early with a Festival of Football for Under 7's with 5 teams entering, then it was followed by an Under 9's tournament with 10 teams entering and the afternoon there was an under 10's tournament with 4 teams entering and an Under 11/12's tournament with 7 teams entering. This was a great response for our first year and we thank all teh teams who took part and made it such an enjoyable weekend with some great football and sportsmanship on display throughout the weekend. The winners of each tournament were as follows......

Under 9's - Cup Competition - Trowbridge Rangers Shield Competition - Freshford Utd Blues

Under 10's - Cup Competition - FC Bath Blues

Under 11/12's - Cup Competition - Alderbury Green's Shield Competition - FC Bath 12's

Under 14/15's - Cup Competition - Stoke Lane B Shield Competition - Melksham Town Blacks

Adults - Cup Competition - Trowbridge Boys Shield Competition - Freshford Utd B

It was another success with the weather being on our side again and the sun shining on and off all weekend and again we tried to attract more people to bring their families along and had a bouncy castle, inflatable slide and golf putting game for the children as well as our new facilities which have suitable amenities for women, children and disabled people.. We entered one team in the Festival of Football who held their own against much more experienced teams, two teams into the Under 9's which both performed very well and the Blues went on after some nailbiting action to win the Shield Competition, two teams in teh Under 14/15's who battled well but couldnt find their league winning form on the day and two teams into the adults competition where the A unfortunately lost in penalties in the semi final of the Cup competition and then our B team who won teh Shield Competition.

The club managed to raise £1314.22 once all bills were paid which is a good help to our fundraising pot to continue developing our facilities and a great insight to help us build on the event next year and get more people involved. Thanks again for the use the field behind the pitch for parking which was a great help and very kind of Paul Clarke and his family to let us use it again. Thanks to the referees and all the helpers/members of the club who made this event another success for the club and a good weekend had by all. We will be looking to build on it again next and we hope to encourage more teams, children and families along to the event with more entertainment for them other than just football.


Freshford United F.C. is starting a new season and training will start on Tuesday 27th June 2017 from 7:00pm at Browns Park with Friendlies throughout August before the season starts on Saturday 2nd September 2017. We are always open to new players and hope we can add to our squad from last year and hopefully win more competitions this season. If you are interested please call the Manager Chris Birleson on 07738 741477.